Apart from the house fly, one of the most common pests in America is the fruit fly. Certainly, everyone in America knows what they are and have encountered them at least once in their lifetimes. Like their name implies, they are often found near over ripe and/or rotting fruits and vegetables.This is because they are attracted to the alcohol that is produced when the food is allowed to ferment. Although they are not disease transmission insects like mosquitoes, they do spread bacteria and are really annoying in large numbers.
If Your Office Kitchen Is Plagued by Fruit Flies, Follow These Simple Steps to Control and Eliminate Their Presence
- Avoid storing fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time. Overripe fruits and veggies should be discarded or eaten.
- If you must store fruits and vegetables in the office, wash them in clean water and store them in covered containers in the refrigerator.
- Liquids such as vinegar, Sriracha sauce, and any kind of alcohol such as wine or beer should be kept in sealed bottles.
- Food scraps should be stored in covered bins, separate from regular trash.
Follow These Simple Steps to Create a Trap That Help Keeping Fruit Flies Out
- Take a piece of paper, form it into a funnel shape and use some tape to hold it together.
- Take a small jar or bottle and fill it with a small amount of vinegar, wine, or beer.
- Place the funnel into the opening of the bottle or jar, and set it in the area infested by fruit flies.